Total Pageviews

Friday 25 November 2011

Failing NaNoWriMo But Thats Ok!

It is now heading towards the end of week four of the life consuming NaNoWriMo.
Today is day 25 and I should be (cough, cough) at 41, 675 words. Should be but I am sorry to say my word count does not even look close. I have been trying, really. If I keep working at it I will even finish this year!
Week one I had lots of enthusiasm and ideas and the writing flowed easily. Week Two worries about my three year old sons health made it hard for me to concentrate and to stay committed to my writing. I had to put my son first.
From week three I swapped quality for quantity and tried to write furiously to catch up.  Previously I was pleased with what I was writing and how the story was progressing but from this point my story was turning into something that even I would not want to read. I know that the point of NaNoWriMo is to put quantity before the quality of your writing. And that if your story is stalling you are advised to throw anything such as aliens or murder into the mix just to up the word count. But I find that by writing silly pointless twists and turns makes be feel like a totally rubbish writer. As I said before it then ends up like a story even I dislike. What is the point? I have started to feel like I am killing a story I was proud of.
Plus I don`t know if it is because I am of a much lower intelligence than those people who reach 50,000 words during week 2 but I just can not write fast. I am not a fast thinker or writer, sorry. But does that make me a failure as a writer? Does that mean I will never succeed? I don`t think so. I am just happier working at my own pace. 
NaNoWriMo works for some people and not for others.
Anyone else who has had their confidence knocked by NaNoWriMo please read this


Are You A NaNoWriMo Failure ?

No comments:

Post a Comment